Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Betty's "New Shale" Kureyon Scarf

I enjoy knitting chevron scarves with Koigu KPPPM, but for this average knitter it's slow-going. For more immediate satisfaction, I decided to try using Noro Kureyon and larger needles (free pattern at end of post).


Here's the first attempt. I chose 3 skeins of Kureyon in different colorways, then wound each into 3 balls. I knit the scarf selecting balls randomly.



This version uses two skeins of Kureyon, alternating every 2 rows.
Here's the detail:





Watching the colors unwind and interact is mesmerizing!


Here's the pattern, if you'd like to give this project a try:


Betty's "New Shale" Kureyon Scarf

Yarn: 2 skeins Noro Kureyon, different colorways, (Call one color A, the other color B)

Needles: U.S. size 10

Scarf size after blocking: 5 inches wide, 80 inches long

With color A, loosely cast on 24 stitches

Rows 1 and 2: Knit


Drop color A, with color B:

Row 3: Knit 2 tog twice,

*Knit 1, yarn over* 4 times,

*Knit 2 tog* 4 times,

*Knit 1, yarn over* 4 times,

Knit 2 tog twice


Row 4: Knit


Drop color B, with color A:

Row 5: Knit

Row 6: Purl


Repeat rows 3 through 6 for length of scarf, ending with row 4 and saving enough of color A for two more rows. As you knit, you'll be carrying the color of yarn not used along the side of the scarf. Make sure to keep tension even along each side.

Last two rows: Knit with color A
Cast off loosely and block scarf.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, these color combos are beautifully vibrant! And I like the pattern also! Found your pattern through Ravelry and will be planning on making this real soon! Thanks so much for sharing your talent! I'm Knittypurl28 on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love how the colors pop with this pattern. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scarf is just gorgeous! Makes me want to try knitting with Noro RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that my grades are entered for Term 2, maybe I pick up my knitting again. This yarn looks fun. Have a good weekend. Natalie

    ReplyDelete